Chinese Tofu Recipe – Chinese Sausage Tofu Recipe
Tofu is a food native to China and is made by coagulating soy milk. Tofu is low in calories, contains no saturated fat or cholesterol, and contains a fairly high amount of iron. Also, because tofu is made from soy milk, it is also high in protein. Therefore, for those watching their weight, vegetarians, health-conscious individuals, and those with dairy intolerance, tofu is always a good food choice.
The tofu itself has very little taste or smell. Therefore, it can be used to cook with any dish or ingredient. However, also because of its mixed flavor, it is not easy to cook a nice and tasty tofu dish. To use tofu as the main ingredient in the dish, you need to be able to make the flavor or essence of the secondary ingredients blend with the tofu.
There are many different types of tofu on the market. One needs to choose the right tofu for the right dish. For example, soft tofu is suitable for soup, dessert, and steaming, and firm tofu is more suitable for sautéing or frying.
Here is an easy to follow Chinese tofu recipe
• 2 Chinese sausages (can be obtained in the Asian market)
• 2 medium-firm tofu cakes
• 1 spring onion, cut into 1-inch sections
• 1 red chili, thinly sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 0.8 cup of water
• 3 cups of cooking oil
• 1 teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
• A pinch of monosodium glutamate
1. Put the Chinese sausage in a steamer, steam for 12 minutes. Cut them diagonally into thin slices.
2. Cut the tofu into 12 square pieces.
3. Heat wok and cooking oil over medium heat. Fried tofu for 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain with paper towels and reserve.
4. Heat wok and 1 teaspoon of cooking oil. Sauté the spring onion and red chili for about 2 minutes. Add salt, soy sauce, water, and fried tofu. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add the Chinese sausage and cornstarch mixture. Stir well until sauce thickens
6. Ready to serve